Since I've been meaning to do this tutorial for quite a few months AND I'm running low on spiders, I decided to check them both off my list. I'll just jump right in:
6mm bead for spider head (or your pick of bead)
10mm bead for spider body (or your pick of bead)
9mm bugle beads for legs
Seed beads for joints
22 gauge craft wire
Round nose pliers
Needle Nose pliers
First you want to cut your five pieces of craft wire. (1) 2 1/2 inches and (4) 4 1/2 inch lengths.
On the 2 1/2 inch length (which will be the body), make a small loop at the one end and then slide the 6mm bead (head) up to it.
You can leave this loop up to use for hanging the spider, or you can bend it down against the head.
Next you want to take the four 4 1/2 inch pieces (legs) and hold them all together flat. Take your needle nose pliers and bend them smack in the middle, creating a 4 "V"s. Then wrap them tightly around the body wire right up against the head. I use my pliers to smash them down (I know, technical) and tight.
Slide the 10mm bead up tight against these and make another wrapped loop at the bottom. Cut off the excess wire and bend the loop down tight against the body.
Then spread the leg wires apart.
To bead the first leg, slide the beads on in this order - 1 seed bead, 1 bugle bead, 1 seed, 1 bugle, 1 seed, 1 bugle, 1 seed, 1 bugle, 1 seed. You will have 4 bugle beads and 6 seed beads. Slide these tight up against the body and make a tight loop in the wire at the end. Snip off the excess and squish the wire tight so the beads don't fall off.
Repeat this on the remaining seven legs and you'll end up with this.
You can then bend the legs to your preferred spider pose, and Voila - you now have your own beaded spider.
For those of you who would rather have a custom made beaded spider from a spider pro - you can get them from me right here.
Here's a picture of one of my spiders hanging from a beaded spider web that I did last Halloween. The web was made out of silver bugle beads and took a bit longer than I thought it would to make - but it sure looked cool when it was finished.